So, you’re a teenager and you’ve just discovered “classic rock”? It can all be very tricky to wade through, so let this piece be your handy guide on what to expect.
- AC/DC rules!
- Zeppelin rules!
- Collect fake vintage band t-shirts
- Grow your hair to show how different you are from everyone else in your high school
- Devour Rolling Stones singles, convince yourself that “Wild Horses” is the world’s greatest song
- Start to believe that “The Joker” is criminally underrated
- AC/DC sucks!
- Discover the Beatles, wear out the red and blue albums.
- Sour on the Stones
- Believe “The Joker” is criminally overrated, delve in to Steve Miller’s deep cuts
- Discover “Like a Rolling Stone”, listen to it 6,000 times
- Realize that Elvis has more than 2 songs, but decide that only like, 5 are really good
- Watch Pink Floyd’s “Live at Pompei” way too many times in friend’s basement while on questionable substances
- AC/DC still sucks!
- Listen to the “Exile on Main St.”, decide that, hey, the Stones are pretty good after all.
- Realize that Zeppelin is soooo overplayed…and it’s all about The Who, anyway
(Then, listen to Tommy front to back, and excitedly delve into Quadrophenia…then go back to Tommy.)
- Become too sophisticated for band shirts, donate them
- “I am soooo sick of “Like a Rolling Stone!””
- Get seriously in to Revolver; Declare that Paul McCartney is the best Beatle
- Discover Fleetwood Mac
- Prove your thoughtfulness, go through a Simon and Garfunkel phase
- Hate yourself for delving into Steve Miller’s deep cuts
- Hear “Almost Cut My Hair,” feel it is a truly tragic tale
- Find out about The Cars, desperately seek out other good new wave bands
- “Why did I JUST start listening to Queen???”
- AC/DC: still sucks.
- Listen to the Stones later stuff, sour on them again
- See a Zeppelin cover band, fall in love with them again — for 3 days
- The Who are so overplayed…it’s all about The Band
- Listen to the Beatles early albums; discover Chuck Berry, realize the Beatles were not all THAT original in their early days…and HOLY CRAP did the Beach Boys ever rip off his riffs!
- Declare that John Lennon is the best Beatle; get seriously in to Abbey Road
- Get really into the Kinks, decide they might just be better than The Beatles
- Discover how incredibly messed up Fleetwood Mac were
- Prove your thoughtfulness, go through a Paul Simon – Graceland phase
- Decide that Jefferson Airplane never gets their fair due
- Cut your hair
- Give up on finding other good new wave bands
- Meh, AC/DC are okay… just kidding, they really suck.
- Settle on the Stones being some good, some bad (a mixed blessing at best, like Lisa Simpson and Gary Coleman’s consensus on Christmas.)
- The Band are still underplayed
- Decide that no, the Kinks are not better than the Beatles; George Harrison is the best Beatle
- Elvis is the king!
- Decide that yeah, Jefferson Airplane is rated just about right
- Ironically declare that Garfunkel is the best part of S & G
- Seriously debate who was better, The Byrds or the Yardbirds
- “Why did I JUST start listening to Motown???”
- Decide that Rumours is the only Fleetwood Mac album you ever have to hear
- Regret giving away your sweet band t’s 😦
- Never listen to your local classic rock radio station again after hearing April Wine’s “Roller” for the 1200th time.